10 Thoughts About Kaua`i on My First For-Fun Visit
I know, it’s lame. I’ve never been to Kaua`i except for two consecutive weekends right after Hurricane Iniki in September of 1992 to help with the cleanup. So just about everything I experienced this past Thanksgiving weekend was a first for me.
- There are at least two Cold Stone Creameries. There is only one Starbucks cafe.
- It’s amazing how cool K-Mart is when it’s the only store of its kind on an entire island.
- I couldn’t find free wi-fi anywhere.
- The people couldn’t be any nicer. I thought Hilo people were nice, but Kaua`i people might be nicer.
- One thing is for sure: The women are beautiful.
- I had three loco-mocos, none of which came within fifty miles of the roast-pork loco at Blaine’s in Hilo.
- Kauai’s Spouting Horn is much prettier than Oahu’s Blowhole.
- Lihue may be the county seat, but Kapa`a is where everything’s happening.
- There’s a 7-Eleven! I didn’t go there, but it felt good just knowing I could.
- Regular unleaded is $2.58 a gallon. That’s thirty cents more expensive than on Oahu.
I can’t wait to go back!